Saturday, April 26, 2008

Perking up pick-up lines


Don’t even think about using lines like these:
  • “Come here often?”
  • “What’s your sign?”
  • “I must have died and gone to heaven, because where else would I see an angel like you?”
  • “If I told you that you have a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?” The danger with overused, hackneyed pick-up lines is that they generally end up sounding like the equivalent of “Oh, baby, baby, hmm, hmm, hmm.”
So rather than practicing a pick-up line, follow these two guidelines:
  • Focus on the situation and your feelings. “I couldn’t help myself; I just had to come over and tell you your smile was keeping me from concentrating,” is ever so much better than “New around here?” “Do you know the hostess?” “Heard any good jokes?” and so on.
  • If the line sounds like a title to a country song, don’t use it. Of course, an original pick-up line can be memorable. I have never forgotten a guy who said he knew I wasn’t from around here (I was in Alaska at the time) because I didn’t smell like fish. While I’m sure this line probably worked for him once or twice, I just giggled and remembered the line, not him. Never say, “My wife doesn’t understand me” or “You’re the best-looking person in the room” or “Want to spend the night with me?” on the assumption that if you don’t ask, you don’t get. We’re talking about finding a date, not spending the night in jail.

No comments: